Thursday, September 09, 2010

Wish you were here.

I wish you were here with me now, my sad-eyed friend. On this winding road on these mountains you dreamed of, I see past light and color into a long-ago Sunday afternoon. How patiently you clipped those articles out of the Pioneer, the travel section every weekend afternoon, after everyone had read the papers. I see your fingers fold the edges over, so they'd fit in the folder you made yourself. I see you caress those yellowing sheets in the night, as you dreamt of Paris and New York and San Francisco and the big, bright future.

I wish you were here, all passion and fury. You would have liked this, I think, leaves trembling in the wind and the smell of fall in the air. The autumn leaves you wrote about, when the closest you had been to them was a handful of pressed maple leaves, over twenty years old. I see your hands, holding the fragments together in Delhi afternoons, making envelopes to keep them safe.

I miss your clear-eyed compassion, your sense of where you knew your life was going. I miss your intuition about people, sharp as diamonds. I wish you were here, to frame this confusing world with your ideals, your sharp sense of space and togetherness. I miss the peace you had through your anger, the way each word you spoke came from the heart, whether in anger or in love.

I wish you were here, if only to turn me back into who I used to be when I was you.

1 comment:

Kiran said...

i have no words to describe how amazing this is...