"You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give."
I give you these words, these quotes and songs and realities I have learned, I have heard. I give you stories of experiences, both mine and those of others. I give you time, sympathy, affection. Gestures of caring. I give you this space in my thoughts. This time and space in my mind, in my conscious actions- this should be giving, should it not?
But at the end of it, I am less. There is little left in me to offer, of worth to you. Am I lessened this way because I gave of myself? I doubt it. The self, the true self, should grow when shared. In the silence at the end of our conversation, shouldn't the self expand in the long exhale? How do I find this self, the one that is replenished by sharing with another?
When I give you these things (quotes/words/ideas), you construct for me a little space, it seems. A reality that is encompassed only by those things we share. And I give, eagerly, to gain that space, that corner of your consciousness that I can stake a claim to. But neither is that my sole reality, nor do I have any permanence in that claim in your mind. But each time you want to fill that emptiness, you come to me for words. And I oblige, believing I am giving of myself. I believe I am being good, a true friend, in listening to you and allaying your doubts, I like to think I am being true to myself. But which self? Certainly not the one that wanted to grow, and not one that is any richer for our conversations.
Outside your mind, outside the structures my words construct in your realities, there must be a self that is fuller and more complete, a wellspring that these small streams bubble from. Something deeper and truer, quieter and more content. Fuller in its search for cohesive, unifying thought than I am in these chance findings of shared phrases.
5 comments:
Beautiful!! How do you manage to pick out such clarity! Coincidentally, I just started thinking about how empty and "worn out" I feel after expending my energy to help/share/bond with someone... as if I have dug into myself as deep as possible and heaped out every possible ounce of myself and have nothing more to give. How ironic, when this same process makes me feel fuller and more content with some others!
Beautiful!! How do you manage to pick out such clarity! Coincidentally, I just started thinking about how empty and "worn out" I feel after expending my energy to help/share/bond with someone... as if I have dug into myself as deep as possible and heaped out every possible ounce of myself and have nothing more to give. How ironic, when this same process makes me feel fuller and more content with some others!
oh wow! this brings tears to my eyes.. i agree with neeraja.. what clarity!! in a way i could never express it, BUT can totally relate to.. :) and the timing!! its almost psychic.. i like that connect.. :) comes time and again from you.. HUG..
today particularly.. a lot of things are compelling me to put words to my feelings.. something that i am never sure i can do justice to it.. and shirk away from.. BUT this is sheer BEAUTY.. sets a standard hard to match!!
Thank you.. both of you :). It is reassuring to realize that the people I am intimate with share the same thoughts :)
This is so true, I feel the same way much of the time. Good to know that others feel the same way. I love the last paragraph, that we are a wellspring that is full and complete outside of other's minds. Very well thought out! :)
Post a Comment