Monday, February 21, 2011

Haunted by words

Fishing is a metaphor, and the words of the speaker resonate with my thoughts about writing. Just as he is haunted by waters, I am haunted by words. And some of the words reflect so deeply what writing means to me, I would put them down here to remind myself. Some of my favorite quotes from 'A river runs through it' -

"Something within fishermen tries to make fishing into a world perfect and apart - I don't know what it is or where, because sometimes it is in my arms and sometimes in my throat and sometimes nowhere in particular except somewhere deep. Many of us probably would be better fishermen if we did not spend so much time watching and waiting for the world to become perfect."

"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible."

"I sat there and forgot and forgot, until what remained was the river that went by and I who watched. On the river the heat mirages danced with each other and then they danced through each other and then they joined hands and danced around each other. Eventually the watcher joined the river, and there was only one of us. I believe it was the river."

"As the heat mirages on the river in front of me danced with and through each other, I could feel patterns from my own life joining with them."

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."




4 comments:

Suvasini said...

They are beautiful words and even more beautiful thoughts... thank you ! :)

Neeraja said...

Beautiful :). I particularly like the first and last quote.

SecondSight said...

It's rare for a movie to have such powerful dialogues I think.

@ Nee, the first quote is such a nice way to say "Just keep writing and you will get better at it" rather than waiting for the perfect first draft :)

Karthik said...

lovely thoughts:-) And yes, does seem rare for these to be found in a movie.