What do you do, when faced with insurmountable obstacles? Over the last few years, I've had more than what I let on or calculated for. Some of them, I knew I was getting into a challenge- research, marriage, living with strangers. Others, I doubt anyone could have anticipated. The most trained researchers and doctors in the most scientifically advanced country have stood staring at numbers in charts, unable to resolve the contradictions between numbers and 'reality'. There are no explanations, except the ones I offer myself, trusting in the power of the mind to heal just as strongly as it can hurt.
And there are these, not quite as petty as the quotidien struggles of kitchen supplies, not as painful or requiring of faith as medical mysteries. Just this everyday struggle of incompetence and inefficiency, of poor work ethic and people so irresponsible and blind to their own insufficiencies as they blame the world for their problems, and I struggle, pulling every fiber of my being together to remind myself to stay in the present. Not dwell on the mistakes they made two years ago, not dwell on what should have been done or could have been done ten years ago. Live in the now, and deal with the current problem- Advice that I excel at applying to personal problems, and struggle so much with at work and elsewhere.
I always assumed objectivity and rational thought was easier outside the little bubble of the people closest to me. When logic and basic evolutionary principles that assume people would choose the best actions to ensure their survival fail, I fall back on myth. The stories of my childhood, of an egoistic, pompous man, who was granted a wish by the gods. (Why did the gods grant the wish of a demon? Who knows, but in an attempt to explain a world where bad people have power, let's assume they do.)
Once upon a time, there lived a man who prayed and prayed, and was granted a wish, that if he laid his hand on a person's head, they would be reduced to ashes. He traveled the world, creating havoc and pain and confusion, until the gods were forced to intervene. I take silly satisfaction in the fact that god chose the form of a woman to mete his judgement. The girl danced with the man, danced until he matched her skill, and then forced him to follow as she placed her hand on her head. And in following, he was forced to face his own malice, and lost power and self when he turned to a heap of ashes.
I am no beautiful dancer descended from the skies, nor are these people demons of limitless power, that I should dance to their tunes and beat them at their own games. But I wonder still, in moments of frustration, what would happen if I forced them to face their own contradictions. In the objective world, my mind plays these games, where myth and strategic manipulation dance this jubalbandi that brings me to a space where, if not resolution, at least there is solace.
No comments:
Post a Comment