Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Writing conundrums and cooler stuff

I've been meaning not to write, these last several days. One of my closest-held writing notions is to only write what I feel, what I hold dear- If I don't mean it, it will not sound right. So I've written, a lot really- but why would I want to bore you with the rants and the moping and the whining that ensued? There has been a little too much of it on this blog lately, and I'm sick of it. So here, instead of all that, is a random list of things that have made me happy in these times of much ranting and not enough laughter.

1. Supercool moms- My own, a blog I visit, and a sweet little sight I saw yesterday afternoon. A mom on a bicycle, with one of those little toddler cars trailing behind. Matching helmets, and parent and child enjoying their afternoon sunshine. The beginning of spring, and a firm reminder that the whiny, sad little creatures who hide behind children as an excuse for not having a life of their own are not the only kind of mom there is. My mom- requires a long, separate post all of her own, which she'll get, someday soon :)

2. Pineapple cake ! Here's a GREAT recipe, please try it out, everyone! :)

* 1 1/2 cups oil
* 2 cups sugar
* 4 eggs
* 2 1/4 cups cake flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 cup nuts
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon vanilla/ orange extract
* 1 cup carrots
* 2 cups crushed pineapple
Bake at 350 F for about 45 mins. (Be warned, this is huge, so either halve the quantities or prepare to share )

3. Early morning walks- Right after I am woken up with coffee in bed, a fantastic-weather-tulips-poking-out-of-soil walk with the husband. When the rest of the day goes downhill, its nice to think that some things stay perfect- No failed experiments or deadlines or health issues can change the coming of spring, and the fact of coffee!

4. Funny blogs- Perfect afternoon pick-me-ups, for those slow days at work. Try this one !

5. Perspective- Sometimes, all the screw-ups in the world are just plain funny. Just squint at them, or top them off with a purple hat with an ostrich plume and a few assorted fruits on it. Or a dinosaur.

5 comments:

Neeraja said...

That was an inspiring list :)...especially the yummy cake!

Neeraja said...

And I'm sure things will sort out soon :). I'm in a similar rut, so watch out for a super long rant coming up on my blog soon! :)

Kiran said...

i hope/wish all your worries go away ASAP :-)
keep smiling :)

SecondSight said...

Thanks, both of you.. maybe we should declare a rant day, where we're all allowed to whine, and then follow it up with a week of cheers, where we post one fun thing every day of the week ! :)

Perception said...

How did I miss this post I wonder? I loved the "purple hat with an ostrich plume and a few assorted fruits on it"

And rants are totally accepted, arent that's the whole point of blogging.

Oh and yes and that one quote it reminds me, what was it...Change is the only thing constant?