
“Next time I will …”
“From now on I will never …”
What makes me think I am wiser today than I will be tomorrow?
-From Notes to myself, by Hugh Prather
.. Two days ago I was going on about words that hold me up, and today I'm kicking myself for having forgotten them. Why should I hold myself to old promises of friendship, when the grown-up me knows better than the child who sealed the deal?
How do you move on, when you're still walking around in too-old, too-tight shoes from long ago? Do you drag your feet and walk in misery, or do you squinch up your toes for so long that you lose all feeling in them, and then the shoes feel fine? After a while you might even think you enjoy not having toes anymore, and think those who do are freaks to want to keep them.
Or are you strong enough to rip outgrown, worn shoes off your feet, and walk with the blisters for a while? Do you slip your injured feet right back into another pair, just to hide the ugly wounds, or do you let yourself heal before you slip into a pair you'd like to try?
5 comments:
wow, that was deep...
i don't know if i'm right but ...you don't want to deepend the wound..so much that it's too hard to heal...
I heard a poem yesterday which spoke of the dual "ME" in us. why otherwise can anyone explain how one morning when we wake up- it feels horrible, like everything meant to break, nothings going right and just about an hr or two later we bounce back to the heights of spirits, looked at everything thats worked out and believe the sky is the limit. Arent these two people, both in just one "ME"
This post reminded me of both. One who might think no-toes are good and those who have them are freaks. And the other who would show away the blisters, let them heal. But can I choose which "ME" I want to be?
Kiran - I don't think there's really a right answer to the questions, just different things we do. In some ways, we all do all these things, it just depends on the shoes- Whether it is for the glamor, or out of love or respect, we bend our true selves to accomodate the images other people hold...
Perception- I like to think we can/ should be able to choose who we want to be, that's why all the analyses (or ranting).. :)
The older the shoes, the more comfy they're supposed to get... but after a certain threshold, as the shoes face their mortality their disintegration leaves us behind with wounds.
well.. as much as we wonder about the grown-up in us knowing better than the child in us.. its interesting.. that most of our friendships come from a younger age.. we don't really hear of people making many new friends in their 40s!!
there is something more to the bond than the age we create it in.. the subconscious maybe? maybe that is already as mature as it needs to be!! and sometimes we over-ride it and that is when we make bad choices?? :) something to think about i guess..
Post a Comment