Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Like no-one's watching



I'm not sure what to write here. Having spent the greater part of time not sharing words, I'm not sure what it involves to use them as a medium of communication.

Words are understanding, words are fun. Words wrap around and make sense when the world doesn't. They can mean so much or nothing at all. I can stare at a word, fall so deep into it that the alphabets lose meaning. Then re-surface and smile with renewed understanding. Try it with AREA. That was one of my favorites in Math class. Write it down, over and over, mouth the letters, exaggerated. Take it apart- why those four letters, why so many vowels? Where did this word 'area' come from? Imagine Egypt as you calculate the area of a pyramid. What did they call it? What would we call it if we were talking to them? AREA. Fall into it. If it doesn't work with this one, try your favorite word. Tell me what happens :)

Words have power, beyond reckoning. In any language, as long as it touches the heart. My current favorite is a line from Gulzar, "Gin gin taare maine ungli jalayi hai.." - I have burnt my fingers counting the stars. I don't understand what it means, but the words sink in and take hold, and they will let go when I have understood. None of it is my doing, it is their power, their magic. Fall back on words, and see which ones hold you up.

But to get to the point of this post- I'm still fumbling here, trying to communicate with words, through words. And I'm fumbling with a few awards- surprised and touched, that people I like read this blog and even enjoy it! This makes me aware that somewhere, someone might actually read what I write, and I think I have stage(blog?) fright now!:) So, uhm, thank you, you and you !

I think I'll pass this right back to both of you, Neeraja and Perception - for the fantastic writing, lovely ideas, and perfect capacity to always entertain :)
..To Nish, who got me into blogging, with hopes that the lady will write again,
soon ;) And Nidhi- it's such a pleasure to reconnect after the years, even though it's only online for now :)

(The image is shamelessly borrowed from Perception's blog, I didn't know how else to get it on here!)

Would it be against blogger protocol to turn this into a tag and demand a new post from everyone I passed it to? That way there's more to read ;)

5 comments:

Neeraja said...

Thank you! I DO wonder about meaning of words by staring sufficiently into the them till the syllables make no sense. I do that with names too :)

Perception said...

I borrowed the image too from Sumi. So is the tag for the words,
Fall back on words, and see which ones hold you up

SecondSight said...

Neeraja- I should remember to list that on my 25 weird things list, and so should you !:)

Perception- sorry, I didn't realise I had to come up with an actual tag...excuse the novice :) If you like that, its all yours.. :)

Perception said...

Last night some words kept just coming back to my mind, from a serial dialogue. It went "That's why its called a Leap of faith Jack"

I kept thinking, why not a step, a jump, babysteps, walk...why a leap.

Kiran said...

thank you :-)

i love reading your blog and it always inspires me...
you are a wonderful writer and defn'ly deserve the award!
keep writing...