Considering how advanced technology is and how connected we are and all that, this question really should not be that hard to figure out. I drive a car with not one, not two, but THREE GPS units in it. There's the fancy built-in unit that came with the car. So hoity-toity that she will not respond if the car is in motion. No frantic scrolling through stored addresses as I slow to a stop at a red light. The GPS lady (as we call the female voice its set to) demands full attention- pull over and focus on every non-QWERTY letter on the remarkably insensitive screen if you want polite direction and re-direction.
Then there's the recently acquired smartphone, which deserves a whole other post (I cannot be the only person in the world who misses being able to run my fingers over the keypad to dial without looking, can I?). My smart-aleck phone rarely pays any attention to where we actually are, which makes figuring out how to get to where I'd like to go quite a task. And last of all, there's the trusty old GPS we were gifted when we first moved across the country, my personal favorite. Though she hangs out in the glove compartment mostly unused, guess which one I grab when I must find directions as I drive, or simply want an estimate of a route to jog my memory.
Yet all these devices rarely help me answer with conviction questions like which North-bound or South-bound highway to take, or whether _Expressway East or West will get me from A to B. Though I am growing quickly used to carrying a crisscrossed mental map of typical destinations and highways in my head, it does little to help me find my way home on some evenings.
Driving back from a relatively familiar geography, I pause between on-ramps, unsure which to take. Until I remember that the Sun sets behind me when I take this route on Sunday evenings, and so I go East, and homeward.
No comments:
Post a Comment