Friday, May 20, 2011

Easy way out : The boomerang effect

Sometime back, I wrote about how it's actually quite easy to fulfill one's dreams. (Before I go on, I would have to say this is speaking only in a personal growth/ professional sense. I don't mean dreams like your crush returning your affections or time travel to a care-free childhood.)

From personal experience, an important motivator is being forced to do things I dislike. Stuck in a job that is "OK", something I can tolerate from 9 to 5 and go home, rinse and repeat for the week- I am far less likely to stay up all night trying to find a way to make my 'dream' happen. But when forced to do things I actively dislike, it is far easier to make myself move towards what I want even at the end of a ridiculously long day.

The potency of fear as a motivator is well established in metaphor and reality to any adult(looming deadlines, ticking clock, back against the wall). At least for me, annoyance and hating what I was doing turned out to be pretty strong motivators to move towards what I want.

So if working towards fulfilling your dreams sounds impossible, try running in the opposite direction. And maybe you will find that hidden something that makes you push harder when you think you can't, and boomerang back to where you want to be.

2 comments:

Neeraja said...

Completely agree! Well put :)

Karthik said...

I agree ! Desperate times do call for desperate measures ! And true, I think we are far more likely to work towards what we what if we are forced to do something we absolutely dislike. Well put:-)