First, a little explanation: A combination of de-motivation and procrastination, awesome words (Carl Dennis, Wallace and others), and my own desire to see something nice when I visit my own blog - are the cause of this sudden flurry of posts. One of the most recommended things to beat the blahs is a good walk/run, and I'm a strong-voiced proponent.
I started running a few years ago for the sense of strength and well-being it brings me, even if it is purely biochemical. Though I try (really!) not to preach about exercise, it is hard not to want to share the high it brings. The quote below sums it up so well, maybe it will even inspire me enough to just shut up about how great it is to run :)
"Even if you'd never get old or even get fat;And your dog could take itself out; And everyone loved you; And you always slept well; And you never got sad; And all your teachers all thought you were a genius; And no one ever broke up with you; And every scholarship was a full scholarship;And the world wasn't a mess; And your body looked good all on its own; And every day in every way; You felt like you just wanted to feel...
YOU'D STILL RUN."
6 comments:
I agree... completely...
I just wish I could build up my stamina super-fast to reach the place where i want to be. But years of steroids, asthma, procrastination and WORK have not left me in too great a shape. But i still try and i still love my short runs... :)
I can empathize completely- I'm not naturally athletic, so building up to longer runs has taken much longer than I'd like. But hey, it is how it makes you feel that counts, not whether it is 1 mile or 10 :). I really like the couch to 5k plan on Runners world, in case you haven't checked it out already. Love the website- for pointers, motivation and a lot more (including that quote!)
I enjoy dancing, walking, playing basketball, swimming (in that order) and I run only when I am bored of all these. :) But I agree I'd exercise just for the high it gives me.
Rafiki- Just happens that I came across the quote on a forum for runners. I think it applies to all forms of exercise :)
Haha, that is a good quote. Takes into consideration quite a few things and the kitchen sink, too, doesn't it? But it definitely drove your point home for me. Thanks for sharing! :)
Hema- Yes, I think it covered every 'inspirational' movie I could think of too, and then some.. :)
Post a Comment