Thursday, May 07, 2009

The dew of little things

This lovely post raised, once again, the idea of simple pleasures- "For in the dew of little things, the heart finds its morning and is refreshed." So here's a list of seven, culled for not costing a thing, not requiring too much by way of material goods (well, shoes are helpful :)), and being available anywhere, geographically.

1. Real conversations. I have proof that there is magic in friendship, magic that sprinkles fairy dust through bad days and keeps you protected from hurt. Real conversations are part of that charm.

2. Opening my eyes to life around- Birds, trees, dandelions, a potted plant in a dingy lab- A glimpse of a perfect sky is enough to lift my spirits.

3. Running. I don't go too fast or far, but it's still one of my favorite things ways to get happy.

4. Falling sick. Really :). Listening to 'real adults' gives me the impression that as we get older, taking time for the body to heal becomes a luxury. When children hurt themselves, they avoid the hurting limb, limp around, tell parents. 'Real adults' tell their limbs to stop bothering them, pop a painkiller (The equivalent of telling your body, "Shut up! I don't care what you have to say!") and get on with all-important things to do. Most mothers I know don't have the time to stay sick. Me, I'm miserable with it, but glad to be able to take the time, laze around in a robe and fuzzy socks.

5. Getting better :) - Yes, I know that's the equivalent of saying I like banging my head on the wall 'cos it feels so good when I stop. But seriously, after being sick, it feels so good to get through a day without the fatigue! Why take wellness for granted when good health can be so enjoyable?

6. Babies and small animals. Obvious, but cuteness never fails to satisfy :)

7. Fantasies. They don't cost a thing, can be conjured up anywhere, and the idea of a red-green house-sized dragon named Fitzgerald walking down Main Street demanding cookies never hurt anyone, did it?

6 comments:

Kiran said...

nice post :-)
simple pleasures in life mean so much that sometimes we forget to enjoy them...thanks for reminding us :-)

Neeraja said...

The lists and posts keep getting sweeter! Such a nice pick-me-up for the day :)

Neeraja said...

And the dragon down Main Street! How so Enid-Blytony! :)

SecondSight said...

Thanks both of you :)
K- I was just talking Neeraja into doing this too, found it really helped me get into a good mood!
Neeraja- Fitzgerald isn't an Enid Blytony dragon at all !! He's a dragon who takes himself very seriously, more like the kind that would put up a fight over the shiny quarters that you keep in a box for the laundry, and he can be extremely temperamental if people around bore him..

Neeraja said...

Oh gosh, he's turning out to be a scary dragon! What if he ambles down my street and looks into my window?! I better hide my quarters! :)

Perception said...

Fantasies yep with you on that :)